Monday 30 March 2015

Things Are Progressing Around Here!

We started our day with a visit from some of Brooksbank's Grade 7s (members of the "Do Good Club").  They told us about a special thing happening this week.  We learned that some Easter bunnies will be roaming the Brooskbank halls giving Easter eggs out.  Inside each egg is a suggestion of something that the "Do Good Club" is challenging the kids of Brooksbank to do….like holding the door open for someone.  The goal is to spread as much "good" as possible throughout the school.  We're excited to start spotting Easter bunnies around the school!


Later, during our journal writing time, I challenged the students to write a sentence that explains their pictures.  This is a big jump for some of the kids.  We talked about describing what is happening in our picture using words and then practiced listening for the sounds in the words.  I explained that I am not looking for "adult spelling", I am looking for "kid spelling".  The most important part of this activity is listening carefully to the sounds that we hear in the words and writing the letters that make the sounds as best we can.  As you can see, the kids are all at different stages of readiness, but ALL worked incredibly hard and were so proud of themselves (I was too!)

"My cat is walking."

"Playing X-Box 360 in the basement with my dad."

"I am playing Hay Day and it is fun."

"Laptop"

"Ameeya swinging on a swing."

"Fast Sonic"

"Pirate captain"

"Pikachu"

"lego"

"This is me"

"cat"

"cake"

"I love my dog."

"It is my dog."

"I am playing with my panda."

"My dog's name is Chewie.  My cat's name is Klondike. Happy cat. Happy dog."

"Cat playing."

"Bella and me, Alina, are playing."

"My dog is playing ball."

A spontaneous reading group happened during centre time today.

There are also a lot of bracelets being made.  The best part is watching the kids teach each other!

We're still finding the number "100" everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment